Friday

January's Loss



Talking about January's loss,just one person comes to my mind..Maybe everyone will be thinking of this person who left us 19 years back..The celestial lover of Malayalam Cinema..A man who gifted us a lot of classic films,which will remain as classics forever!He was the best..The great Mr Padmarajan..Our own pappettan!

I am no one to comment or analyse his films..People loved his films, that's why still they are watched again and again! I am a movie freak..But I developed the passion for film direction after seeing his films. The way he crafted his films made him exceptional from the others..He easily handled complex subjects! One such movie was 'Thoovanathumbikal'..It remains as my ever favourite movie, in fact one of the best movie malayalam film industry has ever seen. The way he told the love betwen Jayakrishnan and Clara..The rain scenes..I think Jayakrishnan and Clara were one of the best characters in malayalam movies!I haven't seen all the 18 movies directed by pappettan..But I will mention some of his movies which influenced me..Ofcourse the first among them is Thoovanathumbikal..Then Moonampakkam,Innale,Namukku Paarkkan Munthirithoppukal,Koodevide,Kaanamarayathu(His script)!Still I have many more movies to watch&I am eagerly waiting for it!

Pappettan really gave us some exceptional scenes which we will never forget in our life..Like the climax scene of 'Innale',where Suresh Gopi leaves from Jayaram's home with intense pain..The bible scenes of 'Namukku Paarkkan Munthirithoppukal'..The climax scene of 'Moonampakkam'..In 'Thoovanathumbikal' every scene had it's own beauty&I think it's the best I have seen! The music and the locations of his films were very notable..I will go on writing if I start writing about his films! In a recent article his wife Radhalakshmi quoted "everyone loves the director in him..but he wanted to be known as a writer"! I am waiting for her new book in which we wil be able to know the writer in pappettan closely. Seeing the recent films,we realise the absence of directors like Padmarajan&Bharathan greatly..We lost a great personality..An incredible film maker& and a writer,which we didn't recognise well..The loss of pappettan is the loss of malayalam movies..The loss of good movies..A great loss for all actors..He really boosted many actors career with some incredible characters! But he left us after giving some exceptional movies,which still remains as the best..Pappetta,you are still remembered and honoured..After getting passionate about films, I really wanted two things to happen..One was to see pappettan&other to become his student..I can say I have achieved both these in a way..I see you always through your films..And I always respect you as my mentor! This year on 23rd, I was in Thrissur..The place where pappettan shot Thoovanathumbikal..Maybe it happened due to his blessings!As I conclude my writing, just some words for you..'Miss you pappetta'!

Films

1. Peruvazhiyambalam [Highway shelter] (adapted from his novel) (1979)
2. Oridaththoru phayalvaan [At some place, a wrestler] (1981)
3. Kallan Pavithran [Pavithran, the thief] (1981)
4. Novemberintaey nashtam [November's loss] (1982)
5. Koodevide [Whither the nest] (adapted from the Tamil novel Moongil pookkal by Vaasanthi) (1983)
6. Parannu parannu parannu [Soaring soaring soaring] (1984)
7. Thinkalaazhcha nalla divasam [Monday, an auspicious day] (1985)
8. Nammukku paarkkaan munthiri thoppukal [Vineyards for us to dwell] (adapted from the novel Nammukku graamangalil chennu raappaarkkaam [Let us go and dwell in the villages] by K. K. Sudhakaran) (1986)
9. Kariyilakkaattu pole [Like a zephyr of dry leaves] (1986)
10. Arappatta kettiya graamaththil [In the village which wears a warrior's belt] (1986)
11. Desatanakkili Karayarilla [The migratory bird never cries] (1986)
12. Nombaraththippoovu [The sorrowful flower] (1987)
13. Thoovaanathumbikal [Butterflies of the spraying rain] (adapted from his novel Udhakappola [A bubble in water]) (1987)
14. Aparan [The Impostor] (adapted from his short story) (1988)
15. Moonnam Pakkam [On the third day] (1988)
16. Season (1989)
17. Innalaey [Yesterday] (adapted from the Tamil novel Jananam [Birth] by Vaasanthi) (1990)
18. Njaan gandharvan [I, the celestial lover] (1991)

Screenplays

1. Prayaanam [Progression] (Bharathan) (1975)
2. Ithaa ividaey varaey [Look! Till here] (I. V. Sasi; adapted from his novel) (1977)
3. Rathinirvedham [Venereal disenchantment] (Bharathan; adapted from his novel) (1978)
4. Raappaadikaludaey gaadha [The song of the Nightingales] (K. G. George) (1978)
5. Nakshathrangalaey kaaval [The stars alone guard me] (K. S. Sethumadhavan; adapted from his novel) (1978)
6. Vaadakakkoru hrudhayam [A heart for rent] (I. V. Sasi; adapted from his novel) (1978)
7. Sathraththil oru raathri [A night in an inn] (N. Sankaran Nair) (1978)
8. Thakara [Weed] (Bharathan; adapted from his novel) (1979)
9. Lorry (Bharathan) (1980)
10. Kochchu kochchu thettukal [Minor mistakes] (Mohan) (1980)
11. Shalini entaey koottukaari [Shalini, my friend] (Mohan) (1980)
12. Idavela [Interval] (Mohan) (1982)
13. Eenam [Tune] (Bharathan) (1983)
14. Kaikeyi (I. V. Sasi) (1983)
15. Kaanaamarayaththu [Beyond the horizon] (I. V. Sasi) (1984)
16. Ozhivukaalam [Vacation] (Bharathan) (1985)
17. Karimpinpoovinakkaraey [Across the sugarcane flowers] (I. V. Sasi) (1985)
18. Ee thanuththa veluppaankaalaththu [In these cold wee hours] (Joshi) (1990)

Novels and short stories (excluding filmed ones)

1. Nakshathrangalle kaval [stars that guard]
2. Onnu randu moonnu [One, two, three]
3. Jalajwaala [The watery fire]
4. Nanmakaludaey sooryan [The sun of virtues]
5. Vikramakaaleeshwaram
6. Shavavaahanangalum thedi [In search of biers]
7. Manjukaalam notta kuthira [The horse which longed for winter]
8. Kaivariyudaey thekkaey attam [The southern end of the bannister]
9. Kazhinja vasanthakaalaththil [During last spring]
10. Prathimayum raajakumaariyum [The statue and the princess]
11. Prahaelika [Conundrum]
12. Pukakkannada [Smoke glasses]
13. Mattullavarudaey venal [The summer of others]
14. Syphilisintaey nadakkaavu [The path of syphilis]
15. Rithubhedhangaludaey paarithoshikam [The reward of vicissitudes]
16. Lola Milford enna American penkidaavu [Lola Milford, the American maiden]
17. Thanmathra [Molecule]

3 comments:

ariyathe said...

He's undoubtedly the best director ever in the industry. But I never knew he wrote novels... should look that up now! I'd love to read it!=]

Gautham said...

yup..he was a writer..and he wanted to be known as a writer..but everyone loved the director in him..in Radhalakshmi's upcoming book,we will be able to know the writer in him closely..:)

Anonymous said...

:)